You just got a Keurig Mini. Congrats!
Getting Started with Your Keurig Mini
But now you’re faced with brewing your first cup. Maybe you’re not sure where to start. Don’t worry! I’m here to help. I’ve used enough Keurig Mini machines in my day to know the ins and outs of how to use them.
I’ll explain everything you need about Keurig Mini in this article. Let’s get to it!
Setting Up Your Keurig Mini
First, you’ll need a Keurig K Mini coffee maker. When you’re ready, take your K-Mini out of the box and find a good place in your kitchen for it to go. Keep in mind it will have to be near a power outlet. At the back of your machine, you’ll find the cord storage. Please take out the cord and plug it in!
You’ll find the power button on the top right.
Preparing the Water Tank
You’re so close to starting your brew. But the water tank is essential (because you need water to make coffee, after all).
QUICK NOTE: This machine has two versions: the K-Mini, and the K-Mini Plus. The K-Mini coffee maker does not have a removable water tank, while the K-Mini Plus does.
The best way to know how much water to use in your K-Mini brewer is to fill the mug you want to use with water. Then you can pour the water into the water tank. The water tank will be at the back of the machine. Be careful not to use more than 10 oz of water, though!
REMEMBER: Don’t use distilled water in your K-Mini coffee maker. Only use tap, bottled, or filtered water. Distilled water does minerals, which will attract metals from your machine. That will cause damage over many uses.
Only use water. Using milk or something else besides water will cause permanent, catastrophic damage to your machine.
Running a Cleansing Brew
Before brewing that first cup of coffee, you’ll need to run a cleansing brew. This is as simple as it sounds and an excellent way to practice using your Keurig coffee machine before brewing coffee.
Here’s how to run a cleansing brew:
- Fill your machine with 10 oz of water.
- Then power up your K-Mini brewer by pressing the power button on the top of the device.
- Once your device is ready, lift and close the latch without putting it in a pod.
- Then press the brew button.
That’s it! A cleansing brew is essential to clean the machine from factory dust or other particles before your first cup. Running a cleansing brew is recommended by Keurig every month or so.
This is where things get fun.
Exploring the world of K Cups
You’re in for a treat if you’re new to Keurig machines. Hundreds of K Cups are available, offering various flavors and options. Trying some of Keurig’s coffee is a great idea to get started. Green Mountain, a part of the Keurig company, offers a ton of delicious coffees and flavors. If you’re a Starbucks fan, you’re lucky because they also sell a wide selection of K Cups. You’ll probably find your favorite coffee in a convenient K Cup pod.
But what if you want to explore beyond the usual choices? Don’t worry; you have options. You can get a reusable K Cup to fill with any desired coffee. This opens possibilities and allows you to enjoy your favorite blend, regardless of brand.
If coffee isn’t your thing, don’t fret. K Cup pods are available for teas, hot chocolates, and coffee. Keurig has made sure there’s a pod for every preference.
Brewing the Perfect Cup of Coffee
Now that you’re ready to brew, let’s follow the steps to ensure you enjoy a delicious cup of coffee.
- Fill your mug with water (remember, not distilled!) and pour it into the tank at the back of your coffee maker.
- Place your mug on the drip tray under the coffee spout at the front.
- Lift the handle to open the pod container.
- Insert your chosen pod.
- Close the latch firmly, ensuring it snaps into place.
- Press the power button on top of the machine. The light will start to pulse, indicating that the device is warming up.
- Your coffee will brew once the light turns solid (usually after 2 minutes).
- The machine will automatically turn off when the brewing process is complete.
- Lift the handle to open the pod container.
- Remove and dispose of the used pod (and remember, most pods are recyclable!).
- Leave the lid open to let the container dry out.
- Your machine will automatically turn off 90 seconds after finishing brewing.
Note: You have an additional option using the K-Mini Plus. The “Strong” button can be pressed at the brew’s beginning to produce a more robust and bolder cup of coffee.
Keeping Your Brewer Clean
Maintaining the cleanliness of your K-Mini brewer is essential to ensure the quality of your coffee and extend the lifespan of your machine. Here’s how to keep your brewer clean:
- Turn off your device before starting the cleaning process.
- Remove and wash the drip tray. You can remove and clean the water tank with the K-Mini Plus.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down the exterior of the brewer.
- Remember the earlier mentioned cleansing brew? Run 2-3 cleansing cycles to clean your machine’s inside thoroughly.
What About Descaling?
Descaling is crucial in maintaining your Keurig coffee maker and ensuring its longevity. Descaling removes hardened minerals from your machine that affect taste and functionality. It’s recommended to descale your brewer every 3-6 months. To descale:
- Obtain a descaling solution, with Keurig’s being a reliable choice.
- Instead of using only water, mix one part water and one part descaling solution.
- Run a brew cycle without a pod to ensure the descaling solution reaches all parts of the machine.
- Repeat the brew cycle 2-3 more times to ensure no residue of the descaling solution remains.
Following these steps and properly maintaining your Keurig machine, you’ll enjoy countless cups of delicious coffee without any issues.
Preparing Your K-Mini Brewer for Use
Step 1: Turn Off and Unplug
Before and between uses, it’s best to turn off and unplug your K-Mini. This helps conserve energy and ensures safety. You can conveniently store the cord in the cord storage at the back of the machine.
Step 2: Empty the Water Tank
Always remember to empty the water tank between uses. This helps maintain the performance and freshness of your coffee.
Step 3: Store in a Frost-Free Environment
To prevent damage, keep your machine in a frost-free environment. Extreme temperatures can affect its functionality.
Troubleshooting Your K-Mini Brewer
If you’re experiencing issues with your K-Mini brewer, don’t worry. Most problems can be quickly resolved. Here are some common issues and their solutions:
- Problem 1: No Power
The machine is not plugged in. Make sure it is correctly connected to a power source.
- Problem 2: Lid Not Closed Properly
Double-check that the pod and latch are securely closed in the right spot.
- Problem 3: Water Level
Check that you have the right amount of water in your machine. Too little or too much water can affect the brewing process.
Remember that this list is not exhaustive but serves as a helpful starting point for troubleshooting.
Keep Brewing with Confidence
These tips allow you to brew delicious coffee with your Keurig K-Mini brewer. While these machines may initially seem confusing, they are designed for convenience and easy use. You can confidently brew an excellent cup of coffee by following the steps and troubleshooting advice. Happy brewing!